When relocating your business, timing is key. You will want to ensure that you avoid moving during your busy periods. To help ensure a smooth transition, consider creating a planning spreadsheet that breaks down tasks and deadlines.
On occasion, businesses must move their operations elsewhere following things like the end of a lease or an organizational expansion. While moving a business can sometimes be an exciting milestone, it often takes months of meticulous planning and an eye for the finer details.
What’s more, during a move, businesses may experience challenges that can adversely impact their bottom lines if the proper planning isn’t considered. As such, it’s important to keep in mind the following to ensure a successful move:
- Set a moving budget, accounting for all moving and transitioning services, potential updates to the new location, lost revenue due to downtime and any insurance needs.
- Create an internal move committee and hold meetings to discuss action items. This group will also help you keep track of receipts, invoices, contracts and other important documentation.
- Communicate moving plans to your employees well in advance.
- Hire a qualified mover and order packing materials.
- Take inventory on connectivity requirements, scheduling the removal of technology from the current facility and installation at the new facility. Make several backup copies of all company data.
- Identify a point person who will handle any questions during the move.
- Create move packets for employees, complete with parking instructions, building information, seating charts, packing materials, expectations and the finalized move schedule.
- Collect old security keys and ID cards, and distribute new ones.
- Remind employees to unpack, and provide instructions on where to stack boxes and moving materials, if applicable.
- Confirm that all change-of-address corrections have been made.
In addition to the above, consider revising your insurance policies and discussing any additional insurance needs in preparation for the move with your broker.
© Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved