Avoid Costly Phishing Scams
Phishing, a type of cyber attack in which hackers disguise themselves as a trusted source online in order to acquire sensitive information, is a common scam that can put your employees and business at risk. The Canadian Internet Registry Authority recently published a survey of businesses who use the .ca domain and found that 32 per cent of firms had unwittingly divulged sensitive information after falling for phishing tactics.
Falling for a spear phishing attack can give a hacker access to personal and financial information across an entire network. What’s more, successful spear phishing attacks oftentimes go unnoticed, which increases the risk of large and continued losses.
Though it is difficult to completely avoid the risks of spear phishing attacks, there are ways to prevent further damage to your business. Make sure that your employees are aware of these simple techniques:
- Never send financial or personal information electronically, even if you know the recipient well.
- Be cautious when you are asked to divulge personal or sensitive business information in an email. Even if it appears to be from a trusted source, it could be a hacker impersonating another person or group.
- Only share personal information on secure websites or over the phone.
- Never click on links or open attachments from unknown sources. In addition, encourage employees to think twice about what they post online.
- Ensure that your company’s security software is up to date. Firewalls and antivirus software can help protect against spear phishing attacks.
It’s important to encourage employees to be overly cautious when it comes to preventing phishing scams. Together, these strategies can go a long way toward keeping your business safe.
© Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved