Cyber security experts recently warned that ransomware attacks may be on the rise. This type of malware actually encrypts your data and then requires you to pay a fee in order to access it. With ransom sums often amounting to thousands of dollars, consider taking these simple steps to protect yourself from ransomware:
- Use trustworthy anti-virus software and make sure it is up to date.
- Enable automated updates of your operating system and browser.
- Only download software from trusted sites.
- Never open attachments in unsolicited emails, even if they come from people in your contacts.
- Never click on a link in an unsolicited email.
- Make sure to back up your data regularly and store it offline.
Preventive measures are important, but they can’t account for everything. It is important to go over your policy and look for any gaps in your coverage.
© 2015 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved.